2019 Call for Proposals
Submission Deadline: Sunday, March 31st, @ 11:59pm
The coordinators of SPACE, the Symposium for Part-time, Adjunct, and Contingent Educators, are issuing a Call for Proposals for this peer-reviewed conference spotlighting part-time and contingent faculty. We seek proposals from part-time and contingent faculty that highlight the quality of their scholarship and their innovative teaching practices. We also seek proposals from campus leaders to discuss innovative strategies for supporting part-time and contingent faculty.
We are seeking submissions in the following categories:
- Teaching and Learning Presentations: We encourage submissions from contingent faculty on any topic related to teaching and learning in higher education, particularly how it relates to being an adjunct faculty member. These can involve descriptions of teaching innovations, research on teaching and learning, interactive workshops and presentations, panels, roundtable discussions, etc. Presenters are encouraged to make their sessions interactive (e.g., hands-on activities, discussions, reflections, demonstrations); however, all submissions will be considered. Presentations will be 30 minutes in length.
- Disciplinary Research and Creative Activity Presentations: A goal of the symposium is to provide a space for contingent faculty to share their disciplinary scholarship and creative activity with their colleagues, emphasizing the role of adjuncts beyond classroom teaching. We encourage submissions on any academic topic being researched by adjunct, part-time, and contingent faculty members in any field of study. These might involve scholarly papers, original scientific research, studies, etc. We also encourage submissions by faculty in creative disciplines of their original creative work including but not limited to performances, readings, and visual displays. Presentations will be 30 minutes in length.
- Leadership and Administration Presentations: To provide a space for contingent faculty to discuss issues specific to this community, we will be accepting submissions surrounding the leadership and administration of part-time faculty in higher education. We seek sessions led by contingent leadership, full-time faculty, and institutional administrators on their innovative practices. Sessions should be interactive and may take the form of panels, roundtable discussions, or workshops on specific strategies. Presentations will be 30 minutes in length.
The deadline for proposal submission is Sunday, March 31st, @ 11:59pm
Questions? Please contact the SPACE coordinator, Mandy McGrew with any questions.
Instructions for Submitting Proposals
- Create SPACE User Account
- Enter your email address, name and institution
- Profile Image (optional): we encourage all users to upload a headshot profile photo. Presenter head shots are displayed on session and presenters pages.
- Submit Session
- Enter Session Title
- Enter Your Proposal Format
- Enter Description
- Speaker(s) field should be populated with your User ID
- Enter Additional Speaker(s): NOTE: You have 2 Options
- You may enter the names, Institutions and email addresses in additional speakers text box.
- Or you may contact your additional speakers ahead of time and have them also create user accounts. After user accounts have been created, select the "add another speaker" button underneath the Speaker(s) field. Then select the correct username using the autocomplete.
- Submit your session by hitting the green Save at the bottom of the session submission form.